About

From the Apache site:
"While testing for Oracle vulnerabilities, Mark Litchfield discovered a
denial of service attack for Apache on Windows.  Investigation by the
Apache Software Foundation showed that this issue has a wider scope, which
on some platforms results in a denial of service vulnerability, while on
some other platforms presents a potential a remote exploit vulnerability."

The complete text of the Apache announcement may be found here:
  http://httpd.apache.org/info/security_bulletin_20020617.txt

The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has
assigned the name CAN-2002-0392 to this issue:
  http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2002-0392

SOLUTION
--------

We recommend that sites providing external Apache access upgrade to the fixed
Apache package as soon as possible.  If you are using mod_ssl, you will also
require an updated mod_ssl package.  Updated packages have been prepared for
Slackware 8.0 and 8.1.

WHERE TO FIND THE NEW PACKAGES:
-------------------------------
Updated Apache package for Slackware 8.0:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.0/patches/packages/apache.tgz

Updated Apache package for Slackware 8.1:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.1/slackware/n/apache-1.3.26-i386-1.tgz

Updated mod_ssl package for Slackware 8.0:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.0/patches/packages/mod_ssl.tgz

Updated mod_ssl package for Slackware 8.1:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.1/slackware/n/mod_ssl-2.8.9_1.3.26-i386-1.tgz

MD5 SIGNATURE:
--------------

Here are the md5sums for the packages:

Slackware 8.0:
69de43846c84209bc274ff5c1af554d6  apache.tgz
ca09ade9fbcd66b2e6e2aa13906140d2  mod_ssl.tgz

Slackware 8.1:
d92ba4c9a8b4afd589e274f394fa0e3c  apache-1.3.26-i386-1.tgz
1ac6cd008bb22db99accacc8648efbf6  mod_ssl-2.8.9_1.3.26-i386-1.tgz

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
--------------------------

First, stop apache:

   # apachectl stop

Next, upgrade the package(s):

   # upgradepkg apache-1.3.26-i386-1.tgz
   # upgradepkg mod_ssl-2.8.9_1.3.26-i386-1.tgz

Then, restart apache:

   # apachectl start

Remember, it's also a good idea to backup configuration files before
upgrading packages.

- Slackware Linux Security Team
  http://www.slackware.com

From owner-slackware-security@bob.slackware.com Wed Jun 26 13:45:49 2002
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:45:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Slackware Security Team <security@slackware.com>
To: slackware-security@slackware.com
Subject: [slackware-security] New OpenSSH packages available
Sender: owner-slackware-security@slackware.com

New OpenSSH 3.4p1 packages providing privilege separation for improved
security are available for Slackware 7.1, 8.0, and 8.1.  Here are the
details from the Slackware 8.1 ChangeLog:

----------------------------
Wed Jun 26 12:03:06 PDT 2002
patches/packages/openssh-3.4p1-i386-1.tgz:  Upgraded to openssh-3.4p1.
  This version enables privilege separation by default.  The
  README.privsep file says this about it:

     Privilege separation, or privsep, is method in OpenSSH by which
     operations that require root privilege are performed by a separate
     privileged monitor process.  Its purpose is to prevent privilege
     escalation by containing corruption to an unprivileged process.  More
     information is available at:
       http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/ssh/privsep.html

  Note that ISS has released an advisory on OpenSSH (OpenSSH Remote
  Challenge Vulnerability).  Slackware is not affected by this issue, as
  we have never included AUTH_BSD, S/KEY, or PAM.  Unless at least one of
  these options is compiled into sshd, it is not vulnerable.  Further note
  that none of these options are turned on in a default build from source
  code, so if you have built sshd yourself you should not be vulnerable
  unless you've enabled one of these options.

  Regardless, the security provided by privsep is unquestionably better.
  This time we (Slackware) were lucky, but next time we might not be.
  Therefore we recommend that all sites running the OpenSSH daemon (sshd,
  enabled by default in Slackware 8.1) upgrade to this new openssh
  package.  After upgrading the package, restart the daemon like this:

  /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd restart

  We would like to thank Theo and the rest of the OpenSSH team for their
  quick handling of this issue, Niels Provos and Markus Friedl for
  implementing privsep, and Solar Designer for working out issues with
  privsep on 2.2 Linux kernels.
----------------------------

The text of the ISS Advisory may be found here:
  http://bvlive01.iss.net/issEn/delivery/xforce/alertdetail.jsp?oid=20584

WHERE TO FIND THE NEW PACKAGES:
-------------------------------
Updated OpenSSH package for Slackware 8.1:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.1/patches/packages/openssh-3.4p1-i386-1.tgz

Updated OpenSSH package for Slackware 8.0:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.0/patches/packages/openssh.tgz

Updated OpenSSH package for Slackware 7.1:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-7.1/patches/packages/openssh.tgz

MD5 SIGNATURES:
---------------

Here are the md5sums for the packages:

Slackware 8.1:
bfd503d88144c62906deef4a1280f583  openssh-3.4p1-i386-1.tgz

Slackware 8.0:
a88c387e5261dd9ac90b113e85d054ed  openssh.tgz

Slackware 7.1:
416b8e06b181ab01a975958a893688b3  openssh.tgz

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
--------------------------

First upgrade the OpenSSH package:

   # upgradepkg openssh-3.4p1-i386-1.tgz

Then, check the /etc/ssh/ directory where the new config files will be
installed as ssh_config.new and sshd_config.new.  Most sites will want
to move these on top of the existing config files:

   # mv ssh_config.new ssh_config
   # mv sshd_config.new sshd_config

Finally, restart the sshd daemon:

   # . /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd restart

- Slackware Linux Security Team
  http://www.slackware.com

Slackware™ is a trademark of Patrick Volkerding.